The Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Jews,
Buddhists or other noble creeds,
The black, white, brown and yellow hues
Or other pure or mongrel breeds,
Like many-colored flowers in
A park, the charm of earth enhance,
And vessels of one God within,
Must live as brothers, laugh and dance. —Gopi Krishna
There is a little green book I read. I have read it more times than I can remember and every time I finish the last page, I begin again on the first. It acts as a guide and reminder of how I want to live and the true purpose of life, and while reading it today, it occurred to me to jot down ways I might conduct myself to contribute to a better world, because… the way to a better world begins with personal responsibility.
Imagine the change if we all ascended these steps:
- Help your neighbor (your neighbor is any being beside yourself).
- Be kind.
- Be gentle.
- Be patient.
- Be honest.
- Be generous.
- Refrain from rough/divisive talk.
- Refrain from judgment of others.
- Refrain from violence.
- Refrain from intoxication.
- Refrain from eating meat.
- Refrain from emotional indulgence.
- Grow a garden.
- Take care of your body, the vessel of your spirit.
- The Earth has been filled; control reproduction.
- Plan the birth of a child with utmost care.
- Care for and teach your child well.
- Preserve nature.
Change comes from within —we find a better way as we learn to live wisely.